Grilled Onion and Carrot Chutney
I am a big Chutney / Thogaiyal (as we say in tamil) fan. Reading all the food blogs in the blogsphere has given me confidence that I can “chutneyfy” almost any vegetable. One such attempt is this onion and carrot chutney. This has a distinct sweetness and colour from the carrot and the tang from the onion. It pairs well with just about any entree you choose. I hope its not too late to send it to Sizzling Summer Contest. Enjoy!
- Onion – 1 big
- Carrots – 7 baby carrots
- Whole Dried Chillies – 3
- Urad Dhaall – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard for seasoning
Putting it together
- Coat the onions and carrot with some oil and grill them until nice and smoky. Alternately, if you do not own a grill, you can pan fry them.
- Roast the Urad dhaal and Dried chillies separately in a pan
- Grind all of them together in a food processor along with tamarind paste and salt
- In a pan, add some oil and mustard seeds. Once they sputter add them to the chutney
- You can use this as pesto, or a spread, or dip or even serve with rice.