Sesame less Onion Hummus
I was going through Oh My Veggies’s post about being gaga about hummus. It definitely put a smile on my face because that’s who I am.. I just love to eat a ton of hummus and those store bought tubs get ridiculously expensive when you go through a lot. After reading through Kiersten’s post, I was inspired to make some hummus myself. My first try with homemade tahini paste was a total disaster. It gave a weird sesame seed taste to the hummus. Nobody even went near that and that was the end of it. Dejected we went back to buying hummus from the store. One day, as I was making my onion chutney (minus the carrot) I was wondering what if I put chick peas in to it? And voila, the onion hummus. We just ate the whole thing without any trouble!! Yay! So here goes the recipe.. Enjoy!
- Onion – 1 big
- Cooked Chick Peas – 1 Can
- Chilly Powder – 3 Tbsp
- Crushed Pepper – To Taste
- Urad Dhaall – 2 tbsp
- Olive Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Putting it together
- Saute the onions until golden brown, remove from fire
- Roast the Urad dhaal until brown
- In a food processor add the onions, dhaal, washed and cooked chick peas, chilly powder, Olive Oil, pepper and salt
- Grind all of them together in to a nice smooth paste. You can add water if you want to thin it out
- Store them in a mason jar in the fridge topping . It keeps for a week, if you don’t eat it overnight..
- There you have it, Onion Hummus